Those of you who are interested might want to make your way to the new facebook page, GangOfFivePens, and check out what I've been up to; but, in summary, I'm part of a group who just bought a significant stash of reaaally interesting pens. This is what I'm keeping for myself, at least for now, and what is in my pocket today--a red hard rubber Swan Eternal 48 set!
A Visit to Pelikan
About twelve years ago I discovered Pelikan pens after having collected fountain pens for about fifteen years. My first Pelikan was a newly released blue M800 and I soon came to vintage Pelikans, appreciating not just their workmanship but the history of the Günther Wagner firm behind them. I made my first visit to Hannover to worship at the fount of all things Pelikan almost four years ago and as soon as we made plans to be in Germany again this year, I got in contact with the Pelikan archivist Jürgen Dittmer, who had been so welcoming last time and made plans to visit him and asked it this time I might also visit the production facility for current pens (and, in fact, all the company’s products) at Peine, about thirty kilometres east of Hannover. To make the trip complete, I decided to book Sharon and me into the Sheraton Pelikan, a rather pricey four star hotel, better than we usually allow ourselves. The hotel has adaptively reused the old Pelikan plant that dated back to the la...
Comments