Out and About with the penguin

We have been sticking pretty close to home since our most recent Southwestern trip, but we have been doing some noteworthy (at least to me) stuff that I thought I would share.

In early October we attended a gathering of the Ohlone peoples who were the original human residents of our area of th San Francisco Bay.
A Dance, there were also food and crafts booths.

Replica canoe


Guide interpreter

Dugout habitation, folks moved every spring. These houses got wet in winter

Almost a then and now image. From here you can almost imagine what the land looked like before Europeans, except for the power stanchion.
 About a week later I took my most ambitious walk since the surgery, up Flag Hill in Sunol. It rises about 1200 feet in a mile and is pretty rugged in spots.



Two images from a random drive along the Great Highway to the west of downtown San Francisco




And, finally, after the November Ohio Pen Show I visited Cincinnati to see my old friend Jim Hart and meet his wife, Olga. They asked what I wanted to see and my top choice was Cincinnati's Museum Center at Union Terminal. When I worked at the Cincinnati Historical Society in the late 1980s I was part of a team that helped conceptualize a history museum. The centerpiece was the river landing area, and my boss, Geoff Giglierano and I were the first to conceive of and then model the landing. This was the first time I have seen it.

Jim at the entry to the exhibits


In front of the riverboat








Jim and his wife, Olga

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Scotland, Slowly

A New Consignment