A Week in Denver


 For the past week we have been in Denver visiting long time friends from grad school days.

Apart from hanging out and visiting we have done a couple of excursions in the area, a short but, for me, fairly rigorous, hike at nearby Castlewood Canyon on the Lake Gulch Trail. For my friend Howard, a former ultra-marathoner, it was a stroll.



But the main excursion came on Thursday to the Garden of the Gods, which everyone else had, at some time, seen--except me.




From what we understood, climbers are supposed to be on the lines, but . . .









And then there are the kids goofing 



Some of these images, like the kissing camels, are terribly familiar, but it was fun trying to get my own perspectives.

From the Garden we went to Pikes Peak. I drove their Audi S4, with the promise that I would not have too much fun. There were a few places where I would have gone faster had there not been three other, wiser old folks in the car, but it was still fun (and a challenge) overall.

The images are from the summit where it was cold in addition to being up high. Three of us felt the altitude. Sharon needed medication which Dr Howard procured. The cloudy day meant no blue skies, but we did get some cool lightning, none of which I was able to capture.


The four of us





The original summit house, from 1873.


Tomorrow we begin our return journey, with a first stop at Grand Junction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Scotland, Slowly

A New Consignment