On The Road Again: First Day, Truckee, the Truckee, and Reno

We began the day in Fremont, with an easy drive to Reno. Now I should explain that this is an area, Lake Tahoe and Reno, that resonates for me, going back to my youth, and for Sharon and me from 1971. My parents began going up to Tahoe in the mid-1960s and Sharon and I were married in Reno and honeymooned in Tahoe in 1971. 

I can’t drive through here without floods of memories overtaking me. And the Truckee is my river more than any other. I’ve walked along the Arno, driven along the Rhine, but the Truckee was my first. And when Sharon and I drove Anna to college in 2004, we stayed in Truckee which diverted us from our disorientation at having left our only child in Colorado.

One of my oldest associations with the area was expressed in a “folk” song composed by Steve Gillette and Tom Campbell entitled Darcy Farrow as sung by the Canadian folk duo, Ian and Sylvia. One of my favorite pieces of music to this day. 


After a few hours in the Sierra, cresting from the Western to Eastern slope, we stopped for the day in Reno, wandering the city and a very different portion of the Truckee, now an urban river in the afternoon, and then had a fine dinner at the Sierra Street Kitchen. And, the day even yielded me a pen, a humble Sheaffer’s set from my only antiques stop of the day. Interestingly, one of my early pens, a Waterman’s 452, came to me here more than thirty years ago.

So here are a few images from the first day of our 2018 road trip, which will take us to the Grand Tetons, Glacier, and Yellowstone National Parks.
Downtown Truckee, from logging town to tourist attraction we've seen it happen


Alfa-Romeo Spider
Cobra replica, in purple?

Driving East from Truckee, the river below a railroad trestle

The mountains looking west from the crest

The river

Sharon and Rosa wait patiently while I play. Rocinante has now carried us for more than 90,000 miles, crossing the continent twice.

Another view of the river
Reno, from a western gambling town to a major center
The old town up against the new

And the river runs through it
An urban angler

Even pens

Comments

Carla M. said…
Great to see you two adventuring again! I didn't know Reno was so redolent for you...wonderful images and stories.

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Scotland, Slowly

A New Consignment