Yellowstone to Helena



Early on Thursday, September 27 we departed the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone via the West gate bound for Helena, Montana. We really had no expectations for the drive and should have expected spectacular scenery. At least that’s what we got.

Usually on transit days I either do not post or struggle to come up with scenery worth your time and mine. Not today. Today the challenge was not taking up too much time hiking along the roadside. Most of the route was along the Gallatin River and offered notable scenery, a few views of which I share.


Rocinante, the car's nom de road, has now carried us more than 92,000 miles in almost five years, most of it on our various road trips.






Our mid-day break came in Bozeman where we got coffee and a muffin. Across from where we parked was an outdoors shop, Schnee’s, and when I went in seeking a couple of shirts (I packed too lightly for once) I also asked if they had any custom knives. They did, and the model I fixed on was, coincidentally, named the Gallatin. It was made by a twenty year old maker by the name of Maverik Murdock. I’m not quite sure, yet, of the materials, but the steel is high carbon, probably 52100 or 1084 (I have an inquiry in to him). It is a bit large, but I was unable to resist.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Scotland, Slowly

A New Consignment