Lightning Strikes Twice


Lightning Strikes Twice

So what are the odds? Earlier in the trip while on the Oregon coast I came across a first year Parker 51 in cedar blue with a gold filled cap. I was pretty excited, especially since I was able to lightly clean and fill it. The diaphragm still works. Cool.

For the last week we have been in Ashland at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, soaking up culture, andI really have not thought much about pens and knives since I did pretty well in Portland.

But Saturday is market day in Ashland and we were cruising the markets after which I decided to stop into one of our favorite shops. Both of us, Sharon and I, have gotten stuff there and I have asked Jeremy, the jeweler, about pens. So I step into the shop and he asks if I am still interested in pens. Of course I am, and he brings out this set. An original Parker 51 Empire State (or Icicle) set in Nassau green. It did belong to Henry Evangeloff, but he took really nice care of it and even more remarkably it fills.

What are the odds?

I have not yet decided whether to keep it or not. How many Empire State sets do I need? But to me this set is rather special, simply because it came directly out of the owner’s (or a family member’s) estate and is totally unmolested and undamaged beyond the expected signs of use, and not even much of that. I did not have to clean or polish it at all beyond a good sound water flush and fill. The eraser on the pencil is unused.

Unlike the first year pen I did not get a screaming bargain on this set, but did well enough.




And if anyone is interested I will consider offers, but they probably should start at around $3.000.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Scotland, Slowly

A New Consignment