Hawthorne Cutlery

I don't normally devote posts to a single place, but on Thursday we started our day with my annual visit to this shop. It would be a mistake to call it a knife shop, for they have knives, swords, a few guns, anything that captures the fancy of the owner Dave Rappoport, a former cop who owns the store. As his assistant Jim (whose last name I did not get), put it, "after 44 years in the knife business, I have never seen a more eclectic shop." The question was not if I would get something, but what it would be.

I got two things, the first, a mammoth ivory and mokume gentleman's folder with a damascus blade and some nice filework by Russell Milligan of Bakersfield, California.





 The second piece is one of those obscure classics, a Lone Work Knives Paul Defender in cocobolo with checkered handles. The knife has a unique gravity opening system developed by the legendary Paul Poehlmann, it is a tricksy gravity device. Great fun!!





We spent the rest of the day visiting friends. Sadly, not folks who share my interests in such things, so I share them with you'se guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of Scotland, Slowly

A New Consignment